Closes Friday December 29th, 2023
We are adding to our team! Be the voice that transforms passion into impact and elevate our provincial mission to new heights! Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation is a provincial charity making the enhancement of maternal and children’s health care our mission every day.
We are seeking an energetic and passionate individual to lead our Communications team to oversee all the day-to-day marketing and communication aspects for the Foundation including assisting with content creation (print and digital), writing and editing, video production and promotion of fundraising events and activities as Communications Director. A strategic highly organized team player is needed who pays attention to detail and has the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. You will work closely with the Philanthropy team helping develop effective and inspiring communications tools to assist in raising funds.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Communications Director is responsible for the management and implementation of the Strategic Communications Plan, dated January 2022 in coordination with the Strategic Directions Document 2021-2024, approved by the Board of Directors in June 2021.
The goal of the position is to advance the organization’s position with donors and stakeholders, as well as to drive broader awareness and increase philanthropic support while executing the Foundation’s strategic priorities for the organization throughout the province.
The Communications Director will manage the internal Communications Associates and the external communications consultants to champion the successful implementation of the Strategic Communications Plan ensuring all communications activities promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation.
The Communications Director will be responsible for the Foundation’s brand management, the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. The Communications Director will be an ambassador for the organization and will build relationships with the media.
The Communications Director will be responsible for written content for varied and integrated communications, products and services including: print publications including the Annual Report, hard-copy newsletters, brochures; web, e-news, and other online communications; media, public relations and marketing.
Communications Strategy and Leadership
- Implements and keeps current the Strategic Communications Plan to advance Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences throughout the province of Saskatchewan.
- Creates marketing/public relations strategies that will allow Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation Senior Leadership and Philanthropy Groups to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Identifies challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Works with the Senior Leadership Group and fellow staff colleagues to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and defines and executes appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serves as the primary liaison with Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital and Saskatchewan Health Authority Communications Teams.
- Demonstrates passion for Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation’s mission, vision and values.
- Ensures the timely development of all Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation’s print and digital communications including the annual report, newsletters, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including the website and new media and manages relationships with associated vendors.
- Works closely with Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation staff colleagues to write and create a high-quality, diverse range of materials including but not limited to print stories, blogs, media releases, event stories, letters, and fundraising materials aligning to the brand messaging framework.
- Ensures the philanthropic cases for support are kept current and strategically placed in marketing materials.
- Manages the implementation of retargeting advertisements, and analytics associated with Mail-Chimp and social media, as it relates to donor stewardship and impact Compiles statistics to complement the donor/sponsor/patient impact stories to create comprehensive and effective impact reports.
- Serves as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Works with the Philanthropy Group to plan, implement, and report on philanthropic initiatives and recognize donors within those initiatives.
- Ensures the websites have compelling content for the Foundation and Gift Shop.
- Exercises judgment to prioritize media opportunities and prepare media releases, talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed.
- Actively engages, cultivates, and manages press relations to ensure coverage supporting Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation’s programs, special events, public announcements, in-hospital activities and other projects.
- Facilitates, oversees, and promotes the annual Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation’s research and granting disbursement program providing impact reporting to key stakeholders.
- Prepares, manages, and oversees external grant funding application opportunities to support the annual fundraising stream of the Foundation with research support from the Philanthropy Group.
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning, critical path timelines, work plans and staff development.
- Provides Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation internal, external, and special project support as required.
- Maintains a current library of Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation communication templates and creative pieces.
Staff and Consultant Management
- Promotes a culture of philanthropy and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establishes and monitors staff performance and development of goals, assigns accountabilities, sets objectives, establishes priorities, conducts annual performance appraisals, and recommends salary adjustments.
- Ensures external communications consultants are constantly communicated with on projects involving them, including clear expectations and deliverables, timeframes, and progress reporting.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, or related field is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum three to five years experience in a management role, either in-house or with an agency.
- Minimum of three to five years experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories.
- Must be a manager and a “doer”, self-reliant, good problem solver, and results oriented to advance Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation’s mission, vision and values.
- Experience in coaching communications specialists.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing and implementing a comprehensive strategic communications plan including media relations.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with the Senior Leadership Group, Staff Team and, when required, the Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation Board of Directors.
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
- Innovative thinking, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Excellent judgement, creative problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and colleagues.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and administrative initiatives.
- Adheres to and complies with the Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation’s policies and procedures and all relevant provincial laws, rules and regulations.
The job posting closes on Friday, December 29, 2023.
Please send your resume to:
Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation
1-345 Third Avenue South
Saskatoon, SK S7K 1M6
We thank all applicants, however only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.